With sweet, sour and savory flavors, this creamy, comforting soup is a complete meal in a bowl. Crispy egg rolls add an extra element of crunch to this easy Thai coconut soup recipe.
Thai-Style Coconut Chicken Soup with Egg Rolls (Tom Kha Gai)
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp fresh chopped garlic
- 2 tsp fresh chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp lemongrass paste
- 4 oz sliced white button mushrooms
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 oz)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 package Chicken Egg Rolls (4-5 rolls)
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil on medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and lemongrass paste and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken pieces, cooking for 1 minute or until the chicken begins to turn white.
- Stir in the mushrooms and chicken broth and increase heat to high. When the pot begins to boil, turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare Chicken Egg Rolls according to package directions.
- Increase the soup’s heat to medium. Stir in the coconut milk, lime juice, sugar and fish sauce. Turn heat to high and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the soup topped with cilantro and bite-size slices of Chicken Egg Rolls.